Foods that Can Harm Your Dog this Thanksgiving Season

Do you have a friendly pooch hanging around the festivities tomorrow? Here are some foods you should be aware of that can cause your precious K-9 friend some harm. 

  • Turkey skin - Something like the skin from a turkey contains a high amount of fat. These high fat foods are often hard to digest in your dog's stomach and can lead to pancreatitis. Symptoms could include vomiting, lethargy and abdominal pain.
  • Onions and Garlic - Onion and garlic contain sulfides which are toxic to dogs. This can often lead to anemia. It is also worth knowing that cooking these foods does not decrease their level of toxicity
  • Nuts (Macadamia and Walnut) - Macadamia and Walnuts are extremely dangerous for dogs. They can cause a reaction called "macadamia nut toxicosis" which can lead to vomiting, tremors, fever, weakness and elevated heart rate. Typically symptoms will pass but it can also lead to deadly shock.
  • Cooked Bones - Cooked bones are not safe for dogs. They can splinter within the dog's digestive tract which unfortunately will lead to a emergency vet visit. Remember to dispose of bones responsibly to keep any temptation to eat them at bay.
  • Nutmeg and Sage - Sage has essential oils in it that can cause an upset stomach. Nutmeg is often present in sweet potatoes and pumpkin. Both of these foods are good for your dog's diet in small quantities but once nutmeg is added it is best to keep it away from your pup. Nutmeg can cause seizures and central nervous system problems when digested and can possibly lead to death.
  • Alcohol - While many dogs may like the taste of beer that does not mean that it is good for them to have. Alcohol, especially those made with hops, is toxic and in certain cases can cause death.
  • Dough - Dough can rise in a dog's stomach which can cause pain and bloating. These types of dough and batter may often contain uncooked eggs which also can lead to Salmonella fears.
  • Chocolate - Chocolate contains theobromine. While humans can metabolize it quickly dogs cannot process it the same rate which allows it to build up in their system. This can cause toxic levels in their system. It varies how much chocolate a dog can safely digest with only mild symptoms, like diarrhea and vomiting, since size is a factor. In large amounts theobromine can cause irregular heartbeat, internal bleeding or even a heart attack. Symptoms may onset with extreme hyperactivity.

While it is fun to have your furry friend at your feet through the holiday it is best to keep them out of the kitchen. If only so that you don't trip over them and cause injury to yourself! Be sure to clean up any spills quickly so that your furry friend is not tempted. It is also wise to inform your guests of the rules as it pertains to your dog so there is not accidental ingestion of any of these items. If you fear that your dog may have ingested something that may be poisonous you can call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 or seek the services of your local vet or emergency vet services.